Helpful dissertation writing advice for newbies
This is your first dissertation - you are nervous about it and rightly so as a dissertation is not an average college essay. But relax! All you need to do is focus and follow certain steps - you will definitely produce a great dissertation.
Form your central question
From the broad topic, you have to form the central question which will shape your dissertation.
- Start your research on the subject and shortlist the most important facts or aspects according to your interest.
- Short list the aspects and answer certain questions about each of them –
- Does the aspect describe what you want to say?
- Is the aspect relevant?
- Is there ample material to research on?
- Will it require extensive field work or other investigations?
- Is there enough time to complete your investigations and your paper?
- Select something which meets not only yours but also your institute’s requirements
Plan the dissertation
Like any project, plan your dissertation according to the time you have before submission.
- Categorize all the work according to importance and schedule them.
- Select the research method and the type of data required.
- Plan for how and where you will get the data.
- Allocate time for rectification and emergencies.
- Fix a deadline well before the submission.
Plan your writing
Your paper is integral to your dissertation and planning for the paper should be simultaneous with other processes.
- Spot the main aspects supporting your central question and detail them out.
- Go through references papers in your institute and decide on the best possible structure to present your question.
- Form a skeleton of your paper with the main chapters in place.
- Document and sort out your resources for quick access.
Start your writing
A dissertation paper is a big essay so you should start early and write regularly . While writing –
- Adopt a clear and uncomplicated language.
- Stay with the main question throughout the paper.
- Stress more on planning and writing the abstract, introduction and summery.
- Be unambiguous with your inferences and conclusion.
Edit as you write
Editing is as important as writing as because editing shapes up the paper.
- Stick to the formatting requirements of your institute.
- Correct all the grammatical, spelling and typographical errors.
- Take help of the numerous online online writing papers for proofreading, editing or enhancing the readability of the paper.